DARe (Darussalam Enterprise) is a Statutory Body that aims to nurture and support local enterprises from start-up to growth. DARe works closely with government and non-government agencies locally and abroad to foster the growth of business enterprises. Through DARe, a common and unified approach is taken to direct, support and encourage growth of local enterprises under a single body represented and driven by the private sector.
We are seeking highly motivated, proactive and qualified individuals to join our team. Applications are invited for the following position:
Role holder will primarily lead the provision of legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations in complex projects and infrastructure delivery transactions associated with the main core function of Darussalam Enterprise (“DARe”). Role holder will be generally aware of the DARe related activities that may give rise to material operational legal risk issues associated with activities carried out by the DARe with a view of mitigating or eliminating operational risks; and be able to lead, manage and train legal personnel to provide legal advice that is practical and commercial to give effect to the required outcomes directed (including commercial, technical and/or social outcomes) and to carry out the necessary operational activities of the DARe.
Roles and Responsibilities
(i) Legal advice, drafting and/or negotiations complex projects and infrastructure delivery related transactions associated with the DARe’s core function of facilitating and implementation of industrial facilities, operations and maintenance of industrial parks under DARe’s control and, where instructed, projects and infrastructure delivery related transactions relating to the government and associated entities;
(ii) Legal advice to management and DARe division personnel on achieving operational outcomes for the organisation and on matters where the legal issues may not have entirely clear precedents that would enable the conferral of advice in a straight forward manner;
(iii) Manage and assess other legal personnel in performing their job criteria outcomes and training legal personnel;
• Working with relevant internal departments to raise awareness of the need to request for and receive legal advice;
• Requesting for, managing and maintaining external counsel as and when necessary;
• Proactively assess and advise potential material legal risks to activities undertaken by the DARe as and when it is required or becomes aware of such risks;
• Ensuring compliance with all DARe’s policies and procedures and in line with Brunei’s legislation and regulations;
• Liaise with relevant internal departments to identify operational issues where legal advice is required;
• Support our internal investigations team as needed;
• Assist in developing legal relationships with third parties in Brunei and internationally to give effect to activities undertaken by the DARe where possible; and
• Maintain and manage relationships with third parties including external counsel, vendors, and other organizational partners (directly and indirectly).
• Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) from a university located in a common law jurisdiction
• Strong projects and infrastructure knowledge, particularly in projects delivery and non-contentious construction
• Good experience in advising, drafting and negotiating on projects and infrastructure related transactions, however candidates should submit with their CVs a transaction sheet providing particulars of relevant transactions they have materially advised, drafted and/or negotiated on (to the extent they are permitted under confidentiality obligations)
• Preference is given to candidates with:
(i) admissions as a solicitor in a common law jurisdiction (particularly in England and Wales, any of the Australian States or Territories, Malaysia, Singapore and/or Brunei), however candidates with an admission as a barrister in England and Wales is also an advantage;
(ii) exposure to chemicals, energy, oil and gas, transport and/or social projects and infrastructure transactions experience;
• corporate governance, project financing and/or contentious construction capability provided that candidates meet B1 requirements above; and
• LLM where subject matter is relevant to primary DARe activities.
Assistant Manager, Market Access – 1 Position
Role holder will be able to liaise and work effectively with businesses and entrepreneurs in Brunei and will be able to manage and deliver effective programs to support the growth and development of businesses and entrepreneurs in Brunei to be more market and export-ready.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Work with new and established exporters in upskilling and promoting their products and services overseas.
• Plan and coordinate the international shipment of export products which require negotiation with a variety of people, such as shippers, agents and vendors and ensure that shipments are in compliance with the laws and regulations governing the export industry.
• Design and implement export strategies and activities and ensure adherence to all project requirements within required timeframe.
• Coordinate with management and plan participation in all trade and exhibition activities and ensure all activities according to the relevance and the readiness of businesses.
• Monitor sales transactions made by exporters.
• Coordinate with key stakeholders including relevant ministries and agencies, corporations and authorities to ensure alignment, smooth transactional processes and provide necessary support to export ready businesses.
• Participate in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of related business development programs and initiatives.
• Assist in the development and implementation of new and existing strategies related to MSME development.
• Assist in the management, supervision and control of multiple projects related to MSME development.
• Proactively seek to enhance the local business ecosystem by identifying gaps and proposing new potential solutions aligned with DARe MSME Contribution to Economy’s Strategy.
• Perform travel duties as and when required particularly in relation to the promotion of local products and services.
• Degree level or higher, preferably in Business Management, Finance or other related fields from a reputable academic institution.
• Minimum 7 years of work experience with proven track record in managerial and multi-tasking role.
• Has some basic understanding of international trade and market demands as well as some knowledge of export laws and regulations.
• A strong team player, excellent management, organizational, analytical, customer service skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
• Pro-active, resilient and flexible with very keen interest to support and promote positive growth of Brunei businesses.
• Demonstrated skill as a self-starter with a strong drive to produce results.
• Creative in providing innovative solutions and ideas.
• Must have a driver’s license and own transportation and fit to travel overseas.
Role holder will be involved in the planning, development and execution of projects at the assigned industrial parks. In addition, the Role Holder will work with multiple stakeholders to facilitate smooth implementation of tenants’ projects.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Provide service and support to industrial site tenant/investor during site allocation, development planning and operations stages.
• Resolves issues and problems by identifying and selecting solutions through the application of acquired technical experience and will be guided by precedents.
• Implementation of best-of-industry technology in planning, and monitoring of projects.
• Coordinate and manage site development projects by working with project owners, authorities, consultants and contractors.
• Analysis of data and reporting to track site and company performance.
• Higher National Diploma or Degree preferably in Civil Engineering; Town Planning, Project Management or equivalent from a reputable institution .
• Have experience in the engineering/infrastructure design and planning, land-use concept or master planning.
• Knowledge and hands-on experience in LIS/GIS land information systems would be an advantage.
• Knowledge on WSHO and having NEBOSH or IOSH will be an added advantage as well.
• Fresh graduates with relevant qualifications are welcome to apply.
Engineering Draughtsperson, Industrial Site Management – 1 Position
Role holder are expected to have the relevant experience and are required to support DARe technical teams in the planning, draughting and digitizing of DARe’s Industrial Sites and facilities.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Computer-aided design (CAD) draughtsperson using their IT skills to produce plans and technical drawings for a wide range of projects and sites.
• Assist the team in preparing concept masterplans and land-use plans.
• Assist in preparing quantity takeoff for budgeting and monitoring purposes.
• Visits projects and sites to gather information, take measurements, compile digital and graphical data.
• Experience and proficiency in AutoCAD software .
• Higher National Diploma or Degree preferably in civil engineering, surveying, town planning, or engineering project management from a reputable institution.
• Sufficient technical working experience in construction industries; consulting/construction /civil structural industries.
• An advantage would be:
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in LIS/GIS land information systems
- 3D modelling and visualization software
- Experience in the systematic digitization of hard copy drawings into digital formats
- Data analysis and graphical visualization for reports